Effect of Treatment on Work Experience in Patients With Stage I-III Prostate Cancer
This observational, longitudinal study will recruit approximately 220 patients through the Wake Forest National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP) Research Base (WF NCORP RB). The recruitment goal will be to have 160 participants who complete the interviewer-administered Structured Questionnaire at all three time points. All participants will be administered the first Structured Questionnaire prior to a prostatectomy or initiation of radiation therapy to treat adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Participants will also be administered Structured Questionnaires at three and six months after the prostatectomy or completion of radiation therapy. For most patients, the time between study enrollment and completion of participation will be approximately 6 – 10 months. Interviewer-administered Structured Questionnaires will address work ability, job characteristics, presence of symptoms associated with adenocarcinoma of the prostate treatment, and general background information.
Key Inclusion Criteria
For a patient to be eligible for participation in this study, all of the following criteria must apply.
- Male diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the prostate, stage I, II, or III. Patient may have already received hormonal therapy or expect to receive hormonal therapy as treatment for adenocarcinoma of the prostate
- Scheduled to undergo prostatectomy or initiate radiation for primary curative treatment of adenocarcinoma of the prostate within 90 days of enrollment
- Self-identify as African American/black, non-Hispanic OR white, non-Hispanic; Participants are considered African American for recruitment purposes if they (1) identify solely as African American for race OR (2) identify as African American and white for race, but do not identify as also being of another race. Participants are considered white for recruitment purposes if they select white and no other race. (These identities are based on participant self-report during the screening process.)
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) score = 0 or 1
- Worked within the past 14 days prior to screening (no minimum number of hours required)
- Intends to be working 6 months from screening
- Patient is willing to provide answers on the patient eligibility questionnaire regarding household income
- Age at time of screening is > or = 18
- Can speak and understand spoken English
- Ability to understand an informed consent document (even if only verbally) and willingness to sign a written informed consent document
- Access to telephone or willingness to travel to National Cancer Institute (NCI) Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP) site for each of the three interviewer-administered structured questionnaires
- Able to hear sufficiently to understand a conversation determined by a simple test given at screening
- Has not previously had a prostatectomy, radiation therapy, or chemotherapy to treat adenocarcinoma of the prostate
- Not expected (at time of screening) to receive chemotherapy for primary treatment of adenocarcinoma of the prostate
Key Exclusion Criteria
A patient may not be eligible for this study if the following criteria apply.
- Patient has received therapy for any other cancer within last 3 years (except for non-melanoma skin cancer)
- Patient plans to receive therapy for any other cancer within the next year (except for non-melanoma skin cancer)
To learn more, visit ClinicalTrials.gov
Wake Forest University Health Sciences